Powered by Blogger.

Fashion Forward

For years, I told myself that I never wanted to become a fashion photographer.  I hated the idea of competing in an industry which elevated materialism, objectified women, and set an unrealistic standard for beauty. Over the years, however,  I became increasingly intrigued with the fashions of local artists in San Francisco, preferring to wear unique off-beat and funky designs over cheap, mass produced crap from stores like Forever 21. When I met Kayo Mitsuyama, I jumped at the opportunity to work with her, not only because I absolutely love her versatile designs, but because I felt the need to support emerging female Asian artists like myself, who were competing in areas that were under-represented by Asian woman. Photographing for Kayo and her clothesline, Kayo Anime, represented an opportunity to dabble in fashion and create images based on my own aesthetic of female beauty - one that diverts dramatically from the hyper-sexualized portrayals of woman found so commonly in fashion magazines.

In creating these images,  I feel it is important to acknowledge Kayo for her fashion sense, Candace Simmons for her incredible modeling skills and Sandra Moreno for her talent with hair and make-up.  It was an incredible collaborative process!

Kayo's clothes can be perused and purchased online at Kayo Anime Clothing <http://www.etsy.com/listing/110557408/frill-strap-romper?utm_source=OpenGraph&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_campaign=Share>.














  


























Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP